Getting help (was Re: FC2 quit connecting)

Jason Lim maillist at jasonlim.com
Mon May 16 00:06:19 UTC 2005

> Anybody know where *is* a place to get help with FC versions in legacy
> status? By the time they're mature enough for me to cope with, they've
> usually *been* in that status a while. (And yes, I am indeed looking
> around for some other distro; it'll take a while.) I find
fedoraforum.org,
> for instance, inordinately hard to use ....

I know I won't be popular for mentioning any other distro, but Debian and
Debian based distros like Ubuntu, Knoppix, and so forth, tend to have long
version times.

For example, the current Debian version has been released for about 3
years if I am correct, and all that time, security updates, etc. are
provided. And even now, although they are releasing a new version, the
Debain Security Team is going to continue updates for the existing version
for another 1 to 1.5 years. This makes it excellent for servers and where
stability counts.

It doesn't have the latest whiz-bang features of Fedora, but it sounds
like that is not your main focus.

I actually think providing legacy updates for the FC releases is going to
implode sooner or later, since there are not enough people to keep
supporting so many releases as they come out and the release maintainers
and others are going to burn out.. I think focusing on legacy for Redhat 9
would make far more sense, and seems the main reason the majority are
using FedoraLegacy.org anyway.