Updates Politics Proposal

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Wed May 25 16:17:28 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 10:55 -0500, Philip Molter wrote:
> I agree with this statement, but as a FL user, I can say that one of
> the
> problems with FL is that outstanding bugs never get fixed.  The
> policy
> of only applying security patches means that outstanding issues for
> which there were open FC bug reports (and even bug reports with
> trivial
> patches) never get fixed.
>
> To cite a specific example, there is a bug in the e100 driver that
> causes sporadic timeouts.  This bug has been patched with a trivial
> (2
> or 3 line change) patch in the latest kernel rev.  This patch doesn't
> change functionality or APIs.  It just fixes a thinko.  The patch has
> already made its way into FC3 through the latest kernel release, but
> FC2
> users are out of luck because of the security-only policy.  This
> patch
> is no more burdensome than a security patch, yet it's not accepted
> because it's not a security problem.
>
> I'm personally in favor of expanding the patch policy to fix trivial
> bugs in addition to security bugs.  Trivial bug patches can be open
> discussion, of course ("I'm sorry, but this patch changes too much
> behavior to be accepted"), but they shouldn't be outright denied
> simply
> because the issue they fix isn't solely security-related.
>
> I think that's where some of Igor's frustration stems from.  I know
> it's
> a frustration of mine.

I believe we've included patches like these, when there is a pending
security update for a given package.  So this bug can get tagged to the
next kernel security bug, and we can fix them both at the same time.
That is open to discussion.  Since this issue concerns you, will you own
it and track the next kernel security bug to see that it gets
implemented?

Was I helpful?  Let others know: