Crons Not Running?

Jake Colman colman at ppllc.com
Wed May 25 18:32:37 UTC 2005

   >> I just completed a very tedious set of server upgrades, using yum, from
   >> RH 7.2 to FC1.  Having arrived at my (current) destination, I have most
   >> of my server running but my nightly crons don't seem to be running and
   >> I have no idea why.
   >>
   >> As a RH 7.2 server, I use /etc/crontab and run-parts to execute my
   >> hourly, daily, etc crons.  Somewhere along the upgrade process this
   >> seems to have broken.  Either the crons are not running at all or I am
   >> not getting an email that indicates it.
   >>
   >> How do I track down the problem and fix it?

   MP> W/o getting too obvious about it, is your crond daemon running?

   MP> Can be checked with command:
   MP> service crond status

   MP> Use
   MP> chkconfig --list crond
   MP> to check which runlevels are set; 2, 3, 4, 5 should be set to "on".

   MP> chkconfig --level 2345 crond
   MP> takes care of the setting.

   MP> If hourly jobs are running in /var/log/cron you should see:
   MP> "(root) CMD (run-parts /etc/cron.hourly)"

   MP> Is whatever you park in /etc/cron.[hourly|daily|weekly|monthly] executable?

   MP> I realize that after an upgrade where you drill down to the details to
   MP> make sure that all rpm dependencies are resolved the above mundane stuff
   MP> may be overlooked.  You're looking for "... x, y, z" when it's "a, b, c
   MP> ..."

I'm an idiot!  The crons are (probably) running fine.  Its my sendmail that's
the problem.  All internal emails are being rejected by sendmail while mails
coming from the outside are being handled fine.  Now I have to figure out
what's wrong my sendmail config (see new posting on that topic).

Thanks for the help anyway!

...Jake

--
Jake Colman