Old yum? New yum? Re: Typo in yum instructions

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Tue Nov 1 02:09:49 UTC 2005

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 03:41:20PM -0800, Kenneth Porter wrote:

> Something for users new to 2.1 to watch out for: The --download-only switch
> went away. If you add that to your nightly cron job (in
> /etc/cron.daily/yum.cron), it will either break the script or install the
> updates (I forget which). I believe another utility is available that does
> the equivalent.

I guess that you are thinking about 'check-update' yum command.  If
there are updates then yum will produce a list of available updates
and will exit with a status 100 and otherwise this status is 0.
Once you have a list you can retrieve packages by whatever means you
have on hands.

The catch is that with a list of mirrors you can get a list of
updates from one mirror while you attempt to retrieve packages from
somewhere else and not always they are in sync.

   Michal