Web-Page for James' Updates.

James Kosin jkosin at beta.intcomgrp.com
Tue Oct 4 14:04:10 UTC 2005

David Eisenstein wrote:

|On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, James Kosin wrote:
|
|>This may be easier than writing a long detailed email all the time.
|>Everyone can get / see updates via my newly created web-page at
|>~    http://support.intcomgrp.com/~jkosin
|

|Hi James,
|
|I've looked at your page and like the page.  I guess I am one of the few
|on this list who uses Fedora Core 1, but I like the idea that you're out
|there publishing some updated (of course, unguaranteed, but updated)
|packages that I can use on my FC1 install.  I run FC1 because I like it,
|and because it's a pain to upgrade to a newer version every six months,
|especially with a 56kbps Internet connection.
|
|I think you've hit upon an optimal solution:  much shorter mail announce-
|ments with pointers to your web-page.  Your long announcements
confused me.

|I would also encourage you, James, to consider also contributing some of
|your time to the business of the Fedora Legacy project, by occasionally
|diving into one of the Bugzilla bugs listed in our "to do" list and
either
|creating new packages or QA'ing exising ones.
|
|If you need any help with that, let me know.

Thanks.  I'm glad I'm making a difference.
I'll be glad to help with the QA'ing if I use the package enough.
But, some QA'ing is very difficult.

Some things to consider....
(1)  Kernel updates are very difficult to QA.  If you don't have the
involved HW, it does very little to QA the kernel; because, most of
the code elsewhere has not changed.  And even if you do have the
hardware, sometimes the changes impact things elsewhere in the code
negatively for other users that don't have the hardware.
(2) Even simple changes need extensive testing sometimes, especially
if the impact is on a section of code that everything traverses
multiple times.

I'll have to take a look at the packages that need work....  I might
have time later this month.

|>For now; I'm open to comments on how to modify or make the page
|>better.  I've never been very good at creating fancy pages.  I usually
|>like to keep the pages simple.
|

|Me too.  If it's readable and usable and works, I say, "Don't fix it."
|Looks good to me.
|                -David

Thanks again.
I'll try and keep it simple; but, the updates are quite numerous now.
I may need to reorganize later in the year.

- -James

--
Scanned by ClamAV - http://www.clamav.net