Has tar-1.15.1 been built & released for rh7.3?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Oct 10 21:43:48 UTC 2005

On Monday 10 October 2005 12:59, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
>On Oct 10, 2005, at 10:48 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings all;
>>
>> See subject for question.  If it has been done, please advise url of
>> download.  I cannot build it on that box, and the rpms I've been
>> able to
>> try all need a newer GLIBC.
>
>Hi Gene, officially, 7.3 will only support tar-1.13.  Are you having
>problems with that version?  Or just wanted something newer?
>
>-Jeff

I've been running 1.15.1 on this FC2 box now for about 3 months, and it
appears to be completey compatible.  Then I read someplace where a
security hole had been found in pre 1.15 issues, so I thought I'd try to
upgrade my firewall box, which is still running 7.3, but with a 2.4.29
kernel.

The tarball won't build, make-3.80 finds errs in the Makefile among other
objections when I get the Makefile fixed.  Extant 1.15.1's in rpm are all
for FC4 and need a newer GLIBC.  FC4 which I tried to install on another
box, was so unstable that after it did the reboot refusal the 7th
time out of 10 installs, and only ran maybe 2 minutes after logging in on
the
other 3 reboots, so the disks went in the out bin, and the iso's got a
visit from rm.  The newer fedora gets, the more unstable it gets.  That
same box, with bdi-4.30 (the emc installer cd) is bulletproof, and I have
tried to kill it.

Thanks Jeff.

--
Cheers, Gene