Has tar-1.15.1 been built & released for rh7.3?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Oct 11 00:21:21 UTC 2005

On Monday 10 October 2005 19:22, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
>On Oct 10, 2005, at 5:43 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I've been running 1.15.1 on this FC2 box now for about 3 months,
>> and it
>> appears to be completey compatible.  Then I read someplace where a
>> security hole had been found in pre 1.15 issues, so I thought I'd
>> try to
>> upgrade my firewall box, which is still running 7.3, but with a 2.4.29
>> kernel.
>
>Hi Gene, the only recent tar report I've seen is regarding tar
>preserving setuid/setgid information, which is actually the intended
>behavior of tar, so I am not sure that anyone even patched it.
>
>See http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CAN-2005-2541 and
>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=bugtraq&m=112327628230258&w=2
>
>I don't think that there are any other (unpatched) security issues
>aside from that.
>
>-Jeff

In that case, and since its working fine with 1.13-25, its possible I
miss-read the security advisory.  And as that is now a few pages back up
the log, making my elderly  memory pretty hazy, I'll just let it run till
the fenders fall off.  And so far, I'm not seeing any signs of rust. :)

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)