Another security problem..

Matthew Nuzum matt.followers at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 21:01:50 UTC 2005

If you're saying, "it's not enough to just run Nessus..." I agree with you.

If you're saying that running Nessus is useless, I disagree. It is an
excellent tool for finding out if you're running software that has known
vulnerabilities. I might go so far to say that if you only run one tool for
doing vulnerability analysis then it should be Nessus. I'll admit I've not
used a single commercial vulnerability assessment product so my experience
is far from comprehensive.

Thanks for the suggestion for monitoring log files. You're right about
hosts.deny. I'd go so far as to say that hosts.deny is practically useless
these days since so few of our networked applications rely on it. But
individual applications such as Apache have a similar concept.

--
Matthew Nuzum <matt at followers.net>
www.followers.net - Makers of "Elite Content Management System"