Upcoming transition of FC3

Jeff Sheltren sheltren at cs.ucsb.edu
Fri Oct 21 15:49:14 UTC 2005

On Oct 20, 2005, at 7:16 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 14:17 -0400, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
>
>> I like the idea of having a yum repo file pushed out by redhat,
>> although I'm not sure if they'd go for it or not.  If not, I think a
>> good idea may be for us to release a package like legacy-yumconf-fc3
>> which would provide the file /etc/yum.repos.d/legacy.repo.  CentOS
>> does something similar if you want an example.  If we get real
>> ambitious, we could even stick our GPG key on the system (they'd
>> still have to manually import it to yum/rpm).
>>

> Would somebody be willing to package this up for me?  FC5 will have
> i386
> and x86_64 repositories, however it may be a while before the x86_64
> ones get used.  I guess we could put something in there for ppc(64)
> too.

Yep, I can put one together.  You do mean 'FC3' and not 'FC5',
correct? :)  What do you think is better - to create separate RPMs
(one for each arch), or to have all the repo configs in one RPM and
then just have people enable the correct one by hand?  I'm assuming
that we're going to leave everything disabled by default, but what do
people think?

Personally, I think having one RPM with all the repo files in it
(disabled by default), and also including the FL GPG key is the way
to go.

By the way, where to store the GPG key on FC3?  I think /etc/pki
wasn't brought around until FC4, so I am thinking that /usr/share/doc/
fedora-legacy/ would be a good place for it.

-Jeff