Upcoming transition of FC3

Nils Breunese (Lemonbit Internet) nils at lemonbit.nl
Sat Oct 22 17:33:17 UTC 2005

Jim Popovitch wrote:

> Nils Breunese (Lemonbit Internet) wrote:
>
>> Why would anyone who has updates enabled not want legacy updates
>> to be enabled?
>
> From my perspective, I want to know *who* the updates are coming
> from.  In the case of Redhat updates, I know that there are
> ISO-9001 procedures and policies in place as well as corporate
> oversight and more importantly corporate responsibility (from a
> legal point of view).  From FL you generally (if not universally)
> get good updates, however do you really really know what was in
> that last ssh update that you got?  While I am not so paranoid to
> automatically suspect everything I download, I am paranoid enough
> to try and understand the origin of what I download.
>
> So...
>
>   1) what server should be used as the default update server
>      for out-of-the-box updates?
>   2) what policies, purview, scrutiny should that/those server
>      operators be put under and who will take responsibility
>      for enforcing this?
>   3) what legal disclaimers, and by what means, will alert
>      newbies that they are no longer getting official Redhat
>      updates?
>
> Currently all three of the above issues are addressed individually
> by users who manually configure their systems.  This action is so
> user intensive (visit website, cut-copy-paste yum.conf, download
> and install yum, etc) that it isolates FL from legal
> responsibility.  All FL has to do to protect itself is not
> intentionally post malicious code or instructions.

Those are all really valid points and I totally agree. Still I have
this nagging feeling that a lot of end users will totally not notice
their OS is no longer receiving updates and that something like
Fedora Legacy is available. You might say they're just to ignorant to
care about, but I don't know... Maybe pup will solve this problem,
but that may or may not be in FC5. A lot of current users might be
left out in the cold without them even knowing.

Nils Breunese.