dependency hell, version 2,197,386.1

A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru
Wed Oct 26 15:22:53 UTC 2005

The new iptables may be incompatible with the kernels which are older
than the kernel required by iptables package. Therefore, if the iptables
package requires the kernel version which is newer than the version of
your custom kernel, you should download the kernel (most probably, in
source form) which is required by the iptables. Then you should
customize and rebuild it similar to your older kernel and install as a
new kernel.
If the required kernel and the kernel customized by you have the same
version (the only difference is your customization) than you can use rpm
options which prevent dependency checking when installing iptables.

Alexey Fadyushin
Brainbench MVP for Linux
http://www.brainbench.com