Fwd: Re: releasing updates-testing packages without VERIFY votes

Jason Lim maillist at jasonlim.com
Fri Sep 23 17:32:25 UTC 2005

To tell the truth, to me at least, to support legacy systems I only really
care about critical security updates that could remotely compromise the
system (not even theoretical stuff is of interest). Even local compromise is
not THAT important to me... but in my view, a critical remote vulnerability
should get priority, and at least those should get tested, everything else
can really take the back burner.

I think we need to spend our very limited energy more productively.

If someone wants to use updates that supposedly haven't been tested, they
can use the testing respository, right? Nothing stopping them from using it.
As for everyone else... I'm more about plain old stability. Think about the
people still using legacy systems like RH9, they obviously aren't
"leading-edge" or anything, and probably aren't interested in little bug
fixes here and there, and would probably only be interested in the
worst-case security problems.