Fwd: Re: releasing updates-testing packages without VERIFY votes

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Fri Sep 23 17:25:52 UTC 2005

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, William Stockall wrote:
> I concur with Mr. McCarty.  If untested updates are moved in with the tested
> updates then NONE of the updates can be trusted.  Who wants to go back to the
> bug entry to check for sure if an update actually got tested prior to rolling
> it out?
>
> Also, if there was little enough interest that no one tested the patch, why
> is it so important that it be rolled out at all?  If they are rolled out,
> they should at least be kept separate from the tested updates. That way
> people can choose whether they add that repository to pull updates from.

The energy has already been spent in proposing the updates, doing
publish QA on them, building them in mach and sending out testing
notifications, etc.

It is HIGHLY discouraging to do any QA work if you can end up in the
situation "well, nobody seemed to care.  Sorry for your wasted effort
on this package".