Fwd: Re: releasing updates-testing packages without VERIFY votes

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri Sep 23 19:26:04 UTC 2005

--On Friday, September 23, 2005 2:13 PM -0500 Mike McCarty
<mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> As far as I can see, the sole reason for existence of the Fedora
> Legacy is stability. If I were willing to forego the stability,
> I'd upgrade to FC4 right now, today. I'm not willing to do that,
> so I came to Legacy.

I have 3 FC2 servers I'd love to put FC4 on but am blocked for various
reasons, none really "stability", at least for packages not required to
boot the system.

One is colo'd, and I'm uncomfortable to do an upgrade of that scope without
physical access.

One has old hardware (MegaRAID IDE) and I need to first get a working
kernel (in progress, need to build a test boot CD) before I can update.

The last is waiting for adequate downtime to effect the upgrade. (I'll be
copying the drive, then upgrading with the copy.)

For all of these servers I update piecemeal, often from Rawhide SRPM's to
get something close to the upstream stable release. For some packages with
good SRPM's upstream, I'll go straight to those. (I just did that for
SpamAssassin.)