[Updated] [FLSA-2006:186277] Updated sendmail packages fix security issue

Adam Gibson agibson at ptm.com
Wed Apr 5 17:08:46 UTC 2006

Adam Gibson wrote:
> One thing I noticed after the latest yum update of sendmail from the
> previous update is that alternatives is broken for /etc/pam.d/smtp for
> the sendmail package.  Sendmail used to create /etc/pam.d/smtp.sendmail
> which alternatives would create a symlink at /etc/pam.d/smtp to
> eventually point to the current configured smtp pam config
> (/etc/pam.d/smtp.sendmail for sendmail).
>
> a yum update showed this:
> warning: /etc/pam.d/smtp created as /etc/pam.d/smtp.rpmnew
>
> # ls -al /etc/pam.d/smtp*
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           25 Mar 28 12:48 /etc/pam.d/smtp
> -> /etc/alternatives/mta-pam
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          116 Mar 26 22:37 smtp.rpmnew
>
> # ls -al /etc/alternatives/mta-pam
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           24 Mar 28 12:48
> /etc/alternatives/mta-pam -> /etc/pam.d/smtp.sendmail
>
> smtp.sendmail no longer exists. It appears to just be directly smtp now
> which was stored as smtp.rpmnew because the symlink created by
> alternatives was at /etc/pam.d/smtp.  Issuing an alternatives --config
> mta will just setup /etc/pam.d/smtp to eventually point to
> /etc/pam.d/smtp.sendmail again which does not exist.

This is incorrect.  I moved smtp.rpmnew to smtp and alternatives does
not do anything with the /etc/pam.d/smtp.  I mistakenly thought it did
the first time but it was just leftover from the previous sendmail
package.  Moving /etc/pam.d/smtp.rpmnew to /etc/pam.d/smtp fixes the
problem.

So basically it boils down to alternatives with the newer sendmail
updates do not do anything with /etc/pam.d/smtp anymore(It is part of
the packages itself and not a symlink).  The problem I had is that the
old symlink was in the way when sendmail was updated.

I wonder if other MTAs expect /etc/pam.d/smtp to still be a symlink.  If
you do an alternatives for postfix or some other mta will it overwrite
/etc/pam.d/smtp?  If so that could be a problem if you switch back.