sendmail update left me in a fix

Peter J. Holzer hjp+fedora-legacy at wsr.ac.at
Mon Apr 10 08:25:58 UTC 2006

On 2006-04-10 13:45:01 +1200, Parker Jones wrote:
> Is the sendmail.mc replaced during the update?  Should there be a backup of the
> old version e.g as sendmail.mc.rpmnew? I didn't find one.   Why is there a
> sendmail.cf.rpmnew and not a sendmail.mc.rpmnew?

Configuration files are silently replaced during an upgrade if they
haven't been changed locally. If they have been changed, they are left
alone and the new config file from the package is stored with a .rpmnew
suffix[0].

So, if you have a sendmail.cf.rpmnew, but no sendmail.mc.rpmnew, it is
most probably the case that you changed the sendmail.cf, but not the
sendmail.mc. Maybe you just rebuilt the .cf file at one time (it
contains a a line which looks like a timestamp, so it would appear to be
changed even if the "real" content was the same).

	hp

[0] Or sometimes, they are replaced and your file is renamed to
.rpmsave. I still haven't figured out when that happens.

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | If I wanted to be "academically correct",
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | I'd be programming in Java.
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |   -- Jesse Erlbaum on dbi-users