1-2-3 out, time for FC2?

Jason Lim maillist at jasonlim.com
Mon Apr 10 14:12:49 UTC 2006

Hi all,

After following a lot of the conversations here, and having FC boxes for
servers, I can tell you that a LOT of our customers did NOT expect and
know that there was such a short timeline per release. They thought they
could keep running FC1 for a long time, so a lot of them fell for FC1 at
the time for running servers.

However, now that everyone knows publically that the FC releases are so
short-lived, less and less people are running it on their servers, to the
point that almost all servers now run RHEL / CentOS now (as they should
be).

However, some customers are still stuck on FC1. We have almost no boxes
stuck on FC2/3/4 simply because everyone already knows about the short
timeline.

Almost none of this affects people running it on the desktop, since
downtime is far less damaging on a desktop/laptop than on a server, so the
only people still being "forced" to run FC1 are the server guys.

That is probably why interest in FC1 is far more than say FC2 or FC3,
because people fell for the "trap" of installing FC1 on servers.

 Anyway, just my 2 cents, I would hope that FC1 is maintained and forget
about having long lifetimes for the rest, people who want long lifetimes
already use RHEL/CentOS which is far more suited to that kind of situation
anyway.

Jas