RKHUNTER reporting on my system

Nils Breunese (Lemonbit Internet) nils at lemonbit.nl
Wed Apr 12 19:09:45 UTC 2006

Max Pyziur wrote:

>> I have an FC2 system which rkhunter reports some suspicious
>> files. In particular, during the MD5 hash scan, it reports
>>
>> 	/bin/dmesg
>> 	/bin/kill
>> 	/bin/login
>> 	/bin/mount
>> 	/usr/bin/kill
>
> I run FC2 and have a similar issue.  I've run rkhunter --update
> many times
> in the hopes of updating the installed database to resolve this
> problem.
> Is there a way of updating the the FC2-related rkhunter database in
> order
> to resolve this?

I experience the same (for the same files). I tried installing an
older version of util-linux and everything was fine again. I updated
util-linux again and it didn't recognize these files again. So I
wouldn't be to worried. If rkhunter doesn't recognize certain files
you're supposed to report this on the rkhunter website. I reported
this issue twice already, but apparently no one has looked into this.

>> It also doesn't like the fact that root can log in, and that
>> SSHv1 is permitted to run.

Rightly so. Do not allow these things or change /etc/rkhunter.conf to
not let it warn you about these things.

Nils.