apache logging problems

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Aug 28 16:10:54 UTC 2006

Quoting Joshua Andrews <josh at wavefood.com>:

> now, sometimes after the Sunday 4:02 AM restart there is no more
> logging (combined log or error log), for the virtual servers and I have
> to stop and restart apache to get logging working again. The logs are
> rotated properly and there are new files created which are writable but
> no entries are made.

Apache isn't seeing that the files have been rotated, and is still
writing to the old files.

> Any ideas what is going wrong?

Fix your logrotate scripts.  Probably need a postrotate line to
restart apache, maybe even some other options.... Maybe something
like:

/var/log/httpd/*log {
     missingok
     notifempty
     sharedscripts
     compress
     delaycompress
     postrotate
         /bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/httpd.pid 2>/dev/null` 2>
/dev/null || true    endscript
}

The "compress" and "delaycompress" are optional (i.e. only if you want the
logs compressed).

Of course, instead of kill -HUP you could use /etc/init.d/httpd or
/usr/sbin/apachectl directly to restart the web server...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!