issues list(s)

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Feb 7 19:10:23 UTC 2006

Quoting Pekka Savola <pekkas at netcore.fi>:

> (Yes, I agree that this needs to be more straightforward.  As I've said
> from the start, "put a GPG-signed message w/ VERIFY vote to bugzilla"
> _does not_ cut it.  It's way too complicated if we want to involve a
> lot of folks.)

Why is that?  Would something like a script that would do the following be
useful:

* generate a GPG key for them if they didn't already have one
* register their GPG key on pgp.mit.edu if not already there
* If both of the above were done, then prompt them for the info
   for the "self-introduction" e-mail and generate the self-intro
   they need to send to the mailing list

> Personally, I think the script should print out the list of testing
> updates currently installed, and then send it to the administrator of
> that system, basically asking "These are the testing RPMs and here's
> when they were installed.  Which ones do you _know_ that have been used
> since that date?"

Or an interactive script which does the same, ignoring any that were
installed less than some-yet-to-be-decided-time-interval-in-the-past,
and generates the needed output to be mailed or submitted to bugzilla?

> Then the admin would send a mail to fedora-legacy-list or appropriate
> bugzilla entry saying, "yes, we're installed the package since XXX, gpg
> signature is OK, and it's in active use."

We would either need a volunteer who would move the mailing list posting
into the bugzilla for such messages, or it would have to go to the bugzilla
instead of the list.  To go to the bugzilla, we need to find a way to
automate the finding of the bug number for the update, no?

Also, this still has to be GPG signed, so we should do that here as well.

> That would go a long way in checking that updates-testing packages have
> been used and found working, instead of just having been installed.

Agreed, but I think we're still missing some steps.

> --

Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics
The University of Texas at Austin