crazy thought about how to ease QA testing

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Feb 10 19:02:29 UTC 2006

Quoting Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net>:

> On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 17:54 +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:
>> So, instead of adding more hoops ("please, install a virtual image of
>> all the other distros and do verify testing etc. there"), most focus
>> should be put on making participation easier.
>
> I am trying to make it easier.  I'm trying to make it so that people
> don't have to use their production systems as package fodder for our QA
> process.  I'm trying to make it so that those that really care about one
> release and do the work for one release can easily do the work for
> another release w/out having to support yet another system.  Just run a
> program anywhere that is convenient.

What would be great is if you could put something in the wiki about how
to go about this.  Some pointers to VM software that can be used and
where to get them from.  Some pointers on how to setup the VM systems,
how to use them, etc.  This would be useful docs for those who have never
used a VM setup before.

> I am really opposed to any kind of automated testing that boils down to
> 'it installed here, guess it is good to go'.  I want human interaction
> on the packages, so I'm trying to make that human interaction easier.

Yes, I agree that we need to have the software actually "used" and not
just installed.  But, I'm not against some forms of automation in the
process.  In fact, I used a standard template for my reports, which helps
a lot.  Providing some scripts to help automate steps is just the next
logical step/progression from the template...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!