crazy thought about how to ease QA testing

Adam Gibson agibson at ptm.com
Fri Feb 10 20:30:48 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:
> So I'm kicking around this idea to help w/ QA testing.  What if Fedora
> Legacy provided very base images of the releases we support for use with
> vmplayer?  Vmplayer is free, and from the base image a QA tester could
> update to the package we need QA on, use the package in various ways,
> and report how it worked out.   No need to have a full system of that
> release, no bad effects to your running system, just a nice test
> environment to run a few smoke tests on it.

I would be cautious about recommending people use vmware for QAing
Fedora Legacy packages.  For some applications that would work but
sometimes having different hardware can cause bugs to show up where
under a vm system where all systems look the same hardware wise it
wouldn't.  Diversity in hardware configurations is a good thing for
QAing packages.