no mandatory QA testing at all [Re: crazy thought about how to ease QA testing]

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Sun Feb 12 13:55:50 UTC 2006

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> What I'd like to see is to have something like this (Pekka's idea above)
> happen for regular package contributors (people that have submitted multiple
> packages to FL).  People that haven't submitted many packages should require
> one of the trusted packagers/builders to do a "publish" QA before pushing the
> package to testing.  Since the current state of things is that it's only a
> small group of people doing things, this won't really affect anyone at the
> moment- but it's just a way to ease new packagers in while being sure that
> they are submitting "good" packages.

Yes, "automatic publish without VERIFY QA" depends a lot that the
package proposals, PUBLISH QA (for every distro), and building and
pushing to updates-testing (by FL core people) is done properly.

Given that this currently (unfortunately) happens almost solely by a
very small set of people (say, about 5), as you say, this isn't a
problem now.  Even if new people came up to join the PUBLISH crowd,
I'm confident that they'd blend in because there's pretty good
guidance in Wiki on how to do good package proposals, publish, etc.