no mandatory QA testing at all [Re: crazy thought about how to ease QA testing]

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 13 17:45:06 UTC 2006

Mike McCarty wrote:

> I'd rather run with a known security vulnerability than an untested
> package. With a known security hole, I know some steps I can take
> externally to my box, and know what my vulnerability is. With an
> untested package, I know neither.

Mike,  I would generally agree with that above statement, however most
(99 percent?) of the FL fixes involved code that was written and tested
elsewhere.  All FL does is re-apply the same fix to the FL codebase.  I
for one am willing to accept a tested fix that is applied to a parallel
codebase over running a known vulnerability.  It's not an exact science
but it also isn't running blind.

-Jim P.