no mandatory QA testing at all [Re: crazy thought about how to ease QA testing]

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Feb 14 19:56:35 UTC 2006

Quoting Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org>:

> If people are interested in testing and providing feedback they would
> be able to do that within the specified time limit. If a sufficient

True.

> amount of people are not interested in providing feedback either the
> platform can be dropped out of the legacy maintenance

True.

> or the update can
> be pushed into the main legacy repository after QA work done by the
> packager.

Some have proposed to remove that step also.  That is a concern.

> That is the proposal.  The way you can help is either by
> doing the QA work or suggesting alternative proposals that would help
> in preventing important security and bug fixes lagging in updates
> testing for a infinite amount of time awaiting feedback.

We already have such a system.  The original proposal that started this
thread is to shorten the timeout period.  That was followed by another
proposal to also put the same type of timeout on the PUBLISH as on the
VERIFY.

Proposal one does nothing but shorten the time period for pushing an
update-testing package that doesn't have enough QA postings.

Proposal two does nothing but make it possible to push packages through the
entire system with NO QA AT ALL being done on them.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!