no mandatory QA testing at all [Re: crazy thought about how to ease QA testing]

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 14 22:30:24 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 15:09 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>>I have been apalled at what generally passes as QA in the
>>"Linux Community" generally, and FC specifically. Since I
>>barely tolerate what exists now, it is difficult to contemplate
>>someone considering even more laxity saying "I'm not so sure
>>what the problem is here." I am astounded, amazed, and shocked.
>

> I don't see a problem because this is not an enterprise class operating
> system, we are not an enterprise class project, and you don't get

I guess that I didn't quite make myself clear, using an undefined
and perhaps ambiguous term "Linux Community". By this term I mean
those who work on Linux, GNU, and all applications which generally
are released by those who like the idea of Linux+GNU. Software
development in this rather amorphous network of contributors
has what SEI would call a "chaotic" process.

> enterprise class QA for free.  Please look into RHEL if you want
> guaranteed QA.  CentOS won't be enough for you as there is very little

I am apalled at what passes for QA in every distribution I have
had experience with. I said "Linux Community". This includes even
things which are neither Linux, nor GNU.

Major distros I have experience with:

	Red Hat (pre enterprise)
	Blue Hat
	LynxOs (redist)
	Fedora Core
	Debian
	SuSe
	Mandrake (now Mandrivia)
	Slackware

I was involved in a cooperative effort with some people at
Red Hat corp. to beef up the QA they do with Blue Hat, though I
was never really satisfied with their procedures. I have to
admit that I found Greg Rose with Blue Hat a very nice guy, and used
to eat lunch with him on a semi-regular basis. But he was
reluctant about implementing any real QA changes.

I was disappointed when LynxOs picked up Linux and abandoned
their own product, which was superior.

I also have some experience with minor distros.
(Well, maybe LynxOs should be put into the minor list.
Or even Blue Hat. But I think that most of the others
will be recognized by most people here.)

> What I am appalled by is the general feeling of "I should get things my
> way, and it should be free" I see in the Linux user community.  As I've
> stated before, you get out what you put in.

I get out what I download, be it good or bad. In some cases, I got
what I paid for. Red Hat, Blue Hat, LynxOs, SuSe and Mandrivia are *not*
free.

I haven't said one word demanding, insisting, or even requesting
that things be done differently. I have stated what my actions
would be if the new policy is implemented, and I have taken those
actions. So I guess I'm not one of the general "Linux user community"
you refer to.

I wonder how profitable further discussion would be?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.