VMware with 2.6 kernels

Donald Maner donjr at maner.org
Thu Feb 16 17:18:27 UTC 2006

With the discussion of using VMware to help with the QA process, I felt I should speak up and add my experience over the past week getting a fc2 and fc3 vm going.

The biggest problem I came across was that I had to recompile the fc2 and fc3 kernels to reduce the HZ setting in include/asm-i386/params.h from 1000 to 100.  At 1000, the VMs were too slow to do any real work.  The vmware discussion forums were great in pointing out that was the problem with the slowness.  I'm running my VMs on ESX Server 2.5.2, so I don't know if the latest Server beta or VMWare workstation 5.5 are any better.  But someone does put out pre-made VMWare images to help with QA, those images probably need a 100 HZ kernel in them.

Thanks,
Donald