FC3 yum instructions

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Feb 23 16:36:13 UTC 2006

Quoting Pekka Savola <pekkas at netcore.fi>:

> On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, Eric Rostetter wrote:
>> Quoting Pekka Savola <pekkas at netcore.fi>:
>>> I'm all for getting FL closer to common Fedora infrastructure,
>>> especially as the focus on Fedora Core support is increasing.  Hence,
>>> Fedora CVS, buildsystem, etc. is the direction we should go.
>>
>> But what about web vs. wiki?  Should we move to Fedora wiki, or stay
>> as a more traditional web site, or some of each?  Fedora Extras is
>> at one end, Fedora Documentation Project is in the middle, we were at
>> one end but are moving towards the other, etc.  Where should the FL web
>> be moving; towards wiki or towards web or towards a split between them?
>
> Wiki is probably better for most stuff.

Or at least some stuff (docs and FAQ for example).

> The web site might need to have non-wiki content though, and that
> should be realized as a requirement: for example, the FL advisories,
> hopefully buglist*.html, and other similar more or less autogenerated
> text.

And perhaps more trusted data, like the security page which lists our
GPG KEYS and so on?  I'd rather trust a restricted web server than a
fairly unrestricted wiki for things like key signatures, etc.

I mentioned some of this in private e-mail to Jesse back a few weeks
ago (when the FC3 transition was happening) but don't know his opinion
or feelings on it.  Only know he was asking if we could get rid of
the web site altogether, and I was replying that it would be difficult
to do things like the advisories in the wiki...

Personally, there is a lot of content I don't think should be in a wiki
for various reasons, such as the security info, advisories, home page itself,
and there is other stuff I don't really care about the location of such
as the FAQ, docs, participation pages, etc.  I'm against the wholesale
move from web to wiki though, which is how this was presented to me (though
obviously as a gradual process, with the goal of eventually having no web
site).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics