EOL planning (and observations)

Jeff Sheltren sheltren at cs.ucsb.edu
Mon Jan 16 11:07:48 UTC 2006

On Jan 15, 2006, at 12:32 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:

> I've always maintained that I would like to continue support as
> long as
> there are community members willing to put in the work to make it
> happen.

I agree with that so long as there are enough users to make it
worthwhile.

At the same time, adding one more supported distribution to an
already overloaded work force may turn out to be the straw that broke
the camel's back.  My personal observation is that each supported
distribution adds a lot of work - first for the package builder, then
for initial QA, and then to find people running each distro in order
to verify the packages.  Of course for certain packages, the patch is
simple and it takes an extra minute or two to patch another distro,
but in other cases the patch is not so simple, there are version mis-
matches, and you have to spend a long time modifying patches to work
on a given package.

Anyway, I think that perhaps we need to continue supporting FC1 but
with the idea in our heads that if things start slowing down too much
that we drop it so that we can continue to support the other
distributions in a timely manner.

-Jeff