Unable to use instructions to using yum 2.x on RH 9

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Thu Jan 19 13:31:56 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 11:15:53PM +1000, Ronald Bradford wrote:
> I use CentOS 4.2, however the machine is a dedicated host located in a
> data centre in Texas, so I'm limited to Operating systems provided as I
> have no physical access.
> They do provide RHEL (which is great) a moderate cost for upgrade,
> however it's a clean wipe, and with 30+ web sites, the downtime is
> likely to be 2-3 days.
>
> I was looking for a cheap out without the dedicated down time, and
> complete re-install of custom software, which I can do, it just takes time.

I did an anaconda upgrade from RHL 7.3 to FC3 without too much
trouble.  You can also do the upgrade remotely by rebooting into the
installer via grub or lilo, and then starting a VNC-based install.
Just be sure to put the installer vmlinuz/initrd.img first in
grub/lilo so it boots automatically, and then during the upgrade
choose "create new bootloader configuration" so that it reboots into
the OS afterwards.  I'd also recommend specifying the MAC address of
the NIC you want to install with, since device names eth0 eth1 etc.
can change.