slapper worm

Peter J. Holzer hjp+fedora-legacy at wsr.ac.at
Tue Jan 24 11:00:12 UTC 2006

On 2006-01-24 08:46:24 +1000, Michael Mansour wrote:
> > More generally, I read advice somewhere that mounting /tmp with the
> > "noexec" option (and making any other temp directories symbolic
> > links to that one) can make this type of attack much more difficult.

This doesn't really prevent execution of programs on /tmp, it just makes
it more difficult. It is useful against worms which don't expect /tmp to
be mounted noexec, though. (In other words: It works as long as only a
few people use this trick)

> Definately noted as one of the measures to stop this type of attack, but for
> this particular server, /tmp is not a mounted filesystem but part of /, so I
> can't really do that without re-partitioning the disk and creating a dedicated
> /tmp.

You could put /tmp on a tmpfs:

/etc/fstab:
none  /tmp  tmpfs  noexec  0  0

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | If I wanted to be "academically correct",
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | I'd be programming in Java.
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |   -- Jesse Erlbaum on dbi-users