All rpm Commands Hang Indefinitely (RH 9)

Tim Evans tkevans at tkevans.com
Tue Jul 25 18:28:44 UTC 2006

I've just found FedoraLegacy; this is great.  I have a batch of RH 9 systems
that badly need updating, and have already started working with 'yum' to get
them done.

One system, however, has hung while installing 'yum' itself per the
instructions at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legacy/Yum9Detailed

The hang was indefinite; I left it sit all night and shell prompt never
returned.  Process listing shows 'rpm' still running, even after logging off
the terminal; ctrl-c does not kill the process either.  Only 'kill -9' will
end it.

In looking into this, I see all 'rpm' commands (even simple queries) hang in
the same way.  Man page doesn't mention it, but is there a lockfile somewhere
that's holding things up?  Or something else?

Thanks.

--
Tim Evans, TKEvans.com, Inc.    |    5 Chestnut Court
tkevans at tkevans.com             |    Owings Mills, MD 21117