Rebuild exisitng errata for x86_64?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Mar 4 04:56:21 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:

>On Sat, 2006-03-04 at 10:06 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>

>>So perhaps an obvious question is could Red Hat internal build systems
>>used by Fedora Core or the ones used for  Fedora Extras be spared a few
>>cycles for Fedora legacy on x86_64/PPC or do you want to keep the
>>infrastructure independent?. If we are waiting for the community to
>>donate time, money or resources to the project we need to list what
>>exactly is required for them to participate. While the QA procedures for
>>example are documented, the requirement for a PPC system is not. The
>>website needs a highlighted list of such documentation.
>>

>When I brought up the thought of using the Extras build system for doing
>Legacy updates, it was turned down and requested that we use our own
>infrastructure.  Honestly I don't remember the reasons behind this, but
>I think a lot of it was we're still carrying around content for RHL.

Thats strange. How does RHL content affect the ability of Fedora Legacy
to use Fedora Extras buildsystems?. I didnt see any public discussion
happening on this and we definitely need the details spelled out more
precisely.

>As far as money/resources, this is actually something I'm looking to Red
>Hat for.  Red Hat wants the Fedora project to continue to grow, and
>Legacy is part of that project.  I'm waiting for after FC5 is released
>so that we have some cycles for other project tasks, such as getting a
>copy of the CVS trees for our use and a few other things.  At that time
>I'd like to talk to them about some infrastructure, or revisit the idea
>of using Extras infrastructure for Legacy building and publishing.

I think we need to start sharing all the infrastructure more commonly
within the various sub projects.  Fedora directory server for example is
using their own wiki for some odd reason
(http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Main_Page). The infrastructure
pieces can be part of Red Hat or external to it but if there is already
something available for Fedora Core or Extras, we need to take advantage
of that. I dont understand the reluctance in doing this.

--
Rahul