sendmail upgrade issues

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Sun Mar 26 05:58:03 UTC 2006

Okay, so I just upgraded a RHL 9 machine's sendmail from FL, and have my
first case of missing symlinks.

It left my sendmail.mc in place and created a new sendmail.mc.rpmnew.
It then created a new sendmail.cf from sendmail.mc.rpmnew!

If I do "m4 sendmail.mc.rpmnew sendmail.cf.from.rpmnew" and then
if I do "diff sendmail.cf sendmail.cf.from.rpmnew" the only
differences are the build time/date/user/etc.

If I do a "m4 sendmail.mc sendmail.cf.local" and then
if I do "diff sendmail.cf sendmail.cf.local" it has about
40+ changed lines.

So, the funny thing is it somehow seems to have created the .cf
file from the .rpmnew file...  It did not save my old .cf file.

I noticed this due to a log message:

Mar 25 22:00:08 host sendmail[6927]: STARTTLS=client, error: load
verify locs /etc/mail/certs, /etc/mail/certs/cacert.pem failed: 0

My sendmail.mc (and hence my sendmail.cf) has no definition for the certs,
but the sendmail.mc.rpmnew does.  The only way this could happen is if the
sendmail.cf is made from the sendmail.mc.rpmnew IMHO.

I also seems to have created a new /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail file, without
saving the old version, AFAICT.

And, as noted, I'm missing some symlinks also.  All the symlinks in
/etc/alternatives/ look fine. But I'm missing the link from /usr/lib/sendmail
and "man sendmail" doesn't work.

So, I don't know why any of the above happened, but it all seemed to have
happended.

Output from "alternatives --display mta" is:

mta - status is manual.
  link currently points to /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail
/usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail - priority 90
  slave mta-mailq: /usr/bin/mailq.sendmail
  slave mta-newaliases: /usr/bin/newaliases.sendmail
  slave mta-rmail: /usr/bin/rmail.sendmail
  slave mta-sendmail: /usr/lib/sendmail.sendmail
  slave mta-pam: /etc/pam.d/smtp.sendmail
  slave mta-sendmailman: /usr/share/man/man8/sendmail.sendmail.8.gz
  slave mta-mailqman: /usr/share/man/man1/mailq.sendmail.1.gz
  slave mta-newaliasesman: /usr/share/man/man1/newaliases.sendmail.1.gz
  slave mta-aliasesman: /usr/share/man/man5/aliases.sendmail.5.gz
Current `best' version is /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail.

For those who think "just create the symlinks and forget about it"
it isn't so easy.  The sendmail.cf is a default one, without my
"smart host/mail hub/local relay" settings, and without my
normal masquarading, etc.  So this is a broken install now via
the upgrade.  Mail can be sent out perhaps (not tested) but no one
can reply as the reply address won't be correct, etc.

I'm leaving this machine broken so if anyone has any questions I can answer
them.

Note this machine was not rebooted after the upgrade.  It is possible that
things might change after a reboot.

Any questions, let me know...  I now have a "test" RHL 9 machine for
the issue.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics