Fedora products, to upgrade rather than backport?

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Mon May 15 19:40:53 UTC 2006

On Mon, 15 May 2006, Jesse Keating wrote:
> So in the RHL space, the choice was clear.  Backport whenever possible.
> However the Fedora landscape is different.  "Upstream" Core does not do
> backporting, they more often than not version upgrade to resolve
> security issues.  Why should Legacy be any different?  If we want to be
> transparent to end users we should follow what "upstream" does.

My opinion here is: do whichever is the easiest.  In some cases, doing
a backport may be easier than upgrade [*].  One should also look at
the approach chosen by other Fedora Core/RHEL releases. Other things
being equal, prefer backporting.

[*] For example: if you'd need to upgrade a package with a lot of
dependencies which might need to be re-spun as well; or if the result
would be a significant upgrade, getting assurance that the package
would work, spec file updates required etc. could be significant work.