Fedora products, to upgrade rather than backport?

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon May 15 22:49:34 UTC 2006

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 04:16:59PM -0500, Eric Rostetter wrote:

> Think about all the problems we would have if we upgraded from PHP 4.x
> to PHP 5.x.  Man, that would be a nightmare for the users...

I never tried to imply that automatic "version chase" is a good
thing, and is definitely bad in case of libraries, but there are
situations when you simply do not have a choice. Avoiding security
updates because you do not want to change versions is in general
not an option.

I also think that for systems where you really want a long-term
stable software base you should use nowadays distros like RHEL,
or "clones" like CentOS, and for other pushing them far beyond
EOL quickly becomes more trouble then it is worth.

   Michal