Some supporting ideas regarding fedora legacy project when FC6 is out today

Tim Thome tthome at cox.net
Wed Nov 8 03:18:45 UTC 2006

Robinson Tiemuqinke wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Glad that FC6 is out today for download/playing.
>
>  But FC5 and FC6 are released too closely -- only
> three months apart. while FC4 had released over one
> year before FC5 appeared. Consequently, a lot of
> people and small organizations, as far as I know, have
> installed bunches of "free" FC4 boxes instead of FC5.
> Thereafter, they will directly go to FC6 instead of
> FC4->FC5->FC6, taking into the consideration of that
> each upgrade from one release to another one is not a
> tedious work.
Personally... rather than the RedHat stair step approach to releases,
i.e. FCx, FCy, FCz... I would rather see a gentle slope... The stair
step approach, it was good when RH was selling RH Linux, but this is not
the best approach for a freely available version of RH. We are not
buying new packages every release of RH.

Rawhide, as I see it, is always in motion, on the cutting edge of Linux,
at least in the RH world. It's the development tip so to speak... I
could be wrong on this.

What Fedora should be is the stable edge of rawhide, with some QA...
snapshots would be the core releases. In an ideal world, loading up
*FCx*, and doing a yum update should take me all the way to the
current_stable *FCz* release of fedora. In other words, clean *in-line*
updates, no matter which ISO snapshot I download/install... then Legacy
isn't really a problem.

Note to RedHat and the Fedora Board - as Users, We are your Community to
Develop... make the best use of the resource you have.

Thx,

Tim