Important information regarding the merger of core and extras, and what this means to Legacy

Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) nils at lemonbit.nl
Thu Nov 16 03:40:57 UTC 2006

Matthew Miller wrote:

> I'm not able to force anyone here to do anything. Therefore, I have to
> encourage good practice entirely via "carrots". This works best
> when we
> align with the academic year -- a release in the spring, current
> through the
> following summer to allow time for upgrades. Ideally, *two* years
> and a
> summer, but I understand that's not practical.
>
> As it is, what will happen is: whatever Fedora release is current
> as of
> June-July-August will get installed on people's systems, and, with
> goading,
> upgraded the next summer. If the actual Fedora release happens to
> be new in
> June-July, the 13-month plan will be great, but if the latest
> release was
> from, say, January, that leaves a big hole in which systems *will* get
> broken into.

Every system needs an admin. I don't think it's realistic to not run
'yum update' for a year and expect everything to be fine. If you'd
run Windows on those systems you'd have to run Windows Update once in
a while. Now, I know Linux is less likely to get hacked very fast,
but like I said: every system needs an admin. If systems don't have a
proper admin, *then* they'll get hacked. This is not a Fedora-
specific issue.

Nils Breunese.