RHEL3: Problem going from RH 2.4.20 to Linus 2.4.33

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 15:58:56 UTC 2006

On 11/15/06, David Douthitt <ssrat at mailbag.com> wrote:
> I compiled a version of Linus' kernel 2.4.33 for CentOS 3 (RHEL 3) and
> found that several programs started failing with core dumps or lockups.

You can not use 2.4.33 on Centos 3 or RHL 9 systems. The base kernel
for RHL-9 and RHEL-3/Centos-3 have several incompatible sections
backported from the 2.5.xx kernel series to give features that were
wanted but not in the 2.4 kernel. Thus you can not have the most
current 2.4.xx kernel. If you are wanting to do that you will be
wanting a different OS than any of the 'Enterprise' systems.