Help With Serial Port

Jeroen Lankheet jeroen at lankheet.com
Wed Oct 11 08:10:34 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 13:45 -0700, Michael Schwartz wrote:
> Hi –
>

> I have an application that runs under Redhat 7.2 that expects to see a
> serial port at /dev/tty4 with characteristics 9600,N,1,1. Through my
> own ignorance or perhaps through failure of the PCI serial card
> (Dolphin 2-port PCI card) the application doesn’t appear to notice the
> serial port.  I know very little about linux and how to turn this back
> on or test to see of the port has failed.  Does anyone have a way (or
> can VNC to my computer) to see what’s going on?  Many thanks in
> advance.
>

> Michael
>
> Tenagra Observatories
>

> --

Michael,

You need to make sure that a proper driver is loaded for the serial
port.
If you type
 cat /var/log/messages
after booting then you should see all your configured serial ports.
You can see the devices under /proc/bus/pci
 cat /proc/bus/pci/devices
gives you a list of PCI devices. The serial board should be there.
If you type
 lsmod
you get a list of all loaded kernel modules. The serial driver should be
there. If not, you should install one.

You can test the port with minicom.

Regards,
Jeroen.