lwn article on the death of Fedora Legacy

Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) nils at lemonbit.nl
Fri Oct 20 13:24:55 UTC 2006

Matthew Miller wrote:

> I know that personally I haven't been able to contribute the amount
> of time
> I'd like to make this succeed. But I have a full-time job and a
> young child,
> and am mildly active in umpteen other projects. Legacy support is
> hard work,
> and really needs two or three full-time workers to be a success. It's
> tempting to blame the lack of volunteers, but this sort of project
> works
> best if there's a solid base.

The Fedora Infrastructure team recently sent out an announce mail to
let people know they could use a couple of extra hands. Already a
couple of people mailed that team and said they could help out. Maybe
Fedora Legacy should send out such an email?

> I think this is really unfortunate, because it makes a big gap in
> the Fedora
> ecosystem. This will be largely filled by migration to RHEL-rebuild
> distros
> like CentOS, which is well and good (and particularly painless from
> the
> end-user point of few) but bad for Fedora.

I'm sorry, but I can't help you guys out here. I'm also migrating all
our servers to CentOS. I use Fedora for my desktop system, but I just
run the most recent release on that (no Fedora Legacy there).

Nils Breunese.