lwn article on the death of Fedora Legacy

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 24 14:23:00 UTC 2006

Matthew Miller wrote:

[snip]

> Using the "Chasm" marketing model [*], without Legacy, Fedora is only a
> viable solution for Early Adopters and of dubious value to the second
> "Pragmatist" group. However, Fedora has been enough of a success that many
> Pragmatists are indeed using Fedora.

I'm not familiar with that, but I'll look into it. I agree with your
statement.

> This results in large numbers of FC2, FC3, FC4 machines in production beyond
> their supported lifetime. Pragmatists, by their nature, don't wanna be
> upgrading all the time. Without Legacy, they're best served by CentOS and
> kin. That's fine, but it's a loss for Fedora, as they're then less likely to
> feed back into Extras, etc. And it's also a problem because it results in
> large numbers of potentially vulnerable machines in the wild.

You have struck a very large nail upon the head with perfect
orthogonality. I'm using FC2 here.

> Fedora people repeatedly state that the distribution is great for users
> beyond the tech-enthusiast Earlier Adopters. But without Legacy, it's really
> not true.

Indeed. This is a statement which I have made on several occasions, only
to be hooted down.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.