lwn article on the death of Fedora Legacy

Tim Thome tthome at cox.net
Wed Oct 25 04:48:12 UTC 2006

At 03:32 PM 10/24/2006, Jesse Keating wrote:
>On Tuesday 24 October 2006 18:21, Mike McCarty wrote:
> > These are interesting stats, and indicate that Linux may now be
> > crossing the gap. I belive most offices are still firmly MS product
> > houses, and a move to Linux would not even be considered. I know
> > that every time I see a request for a resume, the format requested
> > is MS Word.

Just because it's MSWord doesn't mean it is Windows... and even OpenOffice
can export as Word native... so if someone wants Word format, Linux can
deliver, as is PDF...

It's funny that if you create a text file, and put that MS specific .DOC
extension, Word can read it just fine... it has converters to do that, and
most corporate installs have it already in place.

Try it, you'll see...

>Use on the desktop should not be tied to use in the server room.  You'll find
>a MUCH higher usage of linux in the server room.  However since the majority
>of the desktops are Windows, MS Word gets used a lot.  A really open cross
>platform format should be used, such as PDF, but that's not a here nor there
>question.

Linux is great in the server room/network closet. Linux runs every one of
my servers on my home LAN, and I've been an advocate of Linux in the
enterprise space to supplement/replace other platforms for servers. We can
do it faster/better/cheaper (pick any three) in this arena...

On the desktop, it's another story... Sorry if I'm getting a tad bit into
advocacy...

The KDE/Gnome folks have made excellent progress when you compare it to the
shell or to CDE/OpenWindows... and it's a long way from NextStep (although
OpenStep is working hard to resolve that vector).

The Linux Desktop - It's similar to where MacOS was in the early days of
System6, and Windows 3.1 days... and those days weren't bad. The Windows
Program Manager/File Manager was a good shell to launch modal applications,
and Mac's Finder in System6 isn't much different as compared to what Gnome
is using. MacOS6 plus MultiFinder

Win's OLE API's and Mac's Publish/Subscribe model at the system level is
not really prevalent on the Linux desktop as of yet, however XMPP is a good
step forward, if the desktop and apps folks buy into it...

There's a long way to go before Linux can really challenge WindowsXP and
OSX on the desktop... challenge is good, it motivates folks, and that may
be the bridge to resolving the main Linux desktop problem, which is the
KDE/Gnome issue.

Until this is resolved, Linux will remain in the server room, where it is
very suited, and will suffer on the desktop.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Tim
--
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind
on the present moment."

-Buddha