New proposed top level FAQ for the defunct FedoraLegacy project

David A. Ranch dranch at juniper.net
Fri Feb 9 20:29:45 UTC 2007

> >I'm betting if there was a reason to keep them alive, the funding would
> >be found without any problem...  But the sad truth is, there is no
> >way to justify spending the money on them, as there is no real value
> >to them.  They lost their value when the project shutdown.

I personally find value in keeping distributions secure.  I don't need
new features.. just maintenance.  I know a /LOT/ of companies that still
use Redhat 6.2, 7.x, etc. in lab environments.  Sure, they aren't on any
Internet facing links but it would only take one worm to take down a
lab, possibly leak their proprietary secrets, etc. and think about the
downtime that would ensue before they could get their test environment
working on a secure distro.  That would will be costly if that ever
happens.  Some of these companies are very large and could maintain
these distros themselves yet they don't find much value in security.  I
do value security and I'm willing to donate X number of dollars for that
security but it sounds like I'm in the minority.

What I'm really curious on is how CentOS can/will erode RHEL revenue.
It's the *same* code but no Redhat support.  I still help out on a few
educational servers and the Academic RHEL version offers -zero- support
so we're basically paying $50/yr for patches.  I think that's a bit
expensive for patches but at least I have an option.  Since I get no
support, what's the value in RHEL Academic vs. CentOS?  None other than
using up2date.

Anyway.. Jesse: could you post any version of this FAQ to the Legacy
website?  I sent this FAQ out to a few email lists last night and
several people were also caught off guard by this news.  They did know
something was up as their Yum repositories were failing.

--David