[Fedora-legal-list] Re: Legal Problem: md5 implementation

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Mon Sep 17 22:02:11 UTC 2007

"Tom \"spot\" Callaway" <tcallawa at redhat.com> writes:
> Some of Fedora's packages are using an MD5 implementation which is under
> a GPLv2/v3 incompatible license, specifically, the RSA implementation
> which is under BSD with advertising.

Hmm.  mysql does appear to be using this implementation, but since they
are specifically distributing under GPL v2 *only*, I'm not sure it's a
problem.  Or are you saying BSD+ad is incompatible with v2 as well?

> If it is the RSA
> implementation, we're going to need to replace it (coreutils has a GPL
> compatible implementation that should be a drop in).

Not sure I see the point of the sort of patch you seem to envision.
If we are shipping SRPMs containing upstream tarballs that contain
BSD+ad code, haven't we got an issue anyway?

			regards, tom lane