[Fedora-legal-list] NVIDIA license

Michel Salim michel.sylvan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 01:27:08 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 3:37 AM, Mamoru Tasaka
<mtasaka at ioa.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp> wrote:
> Hello, again:
>
> Tom "spot" Callaway wrote, at 06/15/2008 04:06 AM +9:00:
>> On Sun, 2008-06-15 at 03:36 +0900, Mamoru Tasaka wrote:
>>> Hello, all:
>>>
>>> Now I am trying to review rsssserver (bug 450409).
>>> First I checked the license issue of this package, then I found some of the codes
>>> are licensed under the below:
>>>
>>> /*********************************************************************NVMH1****
>>> File:
>>> nv_algebra.h
>>>
>>> Copyright (C) 1999, 2002 NVIDIA Corporation
>>> This file is provided without support, instruction, or implied warranty of any
>>> kind.  NVIDIA makes no guarantee of its fitness for a particular purpose and is
>>> not liable under any circumstances for any damages or loss whatsoever arising
>>> from the use or inability to use this file or items derived from it.
>>
>> This isn't really a license, there is no permission to use, copy,
>> modify, or redistribute. I know you're not going to like this answer,
>> but someone is going to need to contact the copyright holder (NVIDIA
>> Corp) to ask them if they will grant permission to use, copy, modify,
>> and redistribute this source.
>>
>> As-is, non-free.
>>
>> ~spot
>
> The submitter replied to me that the upstream replied to him that the
> relevant codes are actually licensed under the following:
>
> http://developer.download.nvidia.com/licenses/general_license.txt
>
> I am very unsure if we can treat this as free. Would you judge this license?

IANAL, but if the only items that fall under the license are header
files, then  the object code / art assets provisions surely does not
apply (unless the binary is considered the "Object Code version", as
opposed to the "Object Code derivative")

Not sure what the government-related provisions entail, though.

Regards,

--
Michel Salim
http://hircus.jaiku.com/