[Fedora-legal-list] Re: [Fedora-spins] rpmfusion based spin

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 15:42:27 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 11:27 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 11:21 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > Also CC'ing the Fedora legal list which is also concerned with issues
> > like the trademark guidelines.
>
> For what it is worth, I'm not opposed to this, but we would need to be
> very careful that the trademark guidelines are strictly enforced in this
> case, due to the nature of some of the rpmfusion bits.
>
> Obviously, this spin couldn't be hosted on Fedora servers (or US
> servers), nor could we point to its torrent from Fedora's tracker, or
> advertise it on Fedora's website. I would encourage rpmfusion to handle
> these matters with their own infrastructure.

Right.  I don't think anyone's requesting we host this spin, just doing
us the courtesy of letting us know about a derivative of Fedora that
will soon exist.

The secondary logomark/logotext does not exist yet, but draft guidelines
allowing one are currently in review in Red Hat Legal.  Until a
secondary mark does exist and its use is circumscribed by some
acceptable use terms, there's no text or mark approved for this purpose.
In the meantime RPMFusion would be free to make some general notation on
their web site ("We constructed this distribution by starting with
Fedora and...").

I'm also anxious to see this secondary mark available for community use
and am continuing to track its review progress.

--
Paul W. Frields