[Fedora-legal-list] CAcert.org license

Ciaran Farrell cfarrell at suse.de
Wed Dec 10 09:20:56 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 09 December 2008 23:17:07 Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

> > > I guess I'm glad I looked before approving the package, but I have to
> > > wonder: Do the cacert folks actually want anyone to use their
> > > certificates?  I mean, this prevents basically everyone from using
> > > them, because they can't come with the OS or the browser.
> >
> > Personally, the more I read the document, the more I'm confused.
> >
> > "You may NOT distribute certificates or root keys under this
> > licence"... does this mean we can distribute under a different license?
>
> Well, sortof. The wording here is strange because you can get a
> different license from the CA issuer. We can't just pick a license, but
> the CA issuer might be willing to give us a different one.
>
> > Would it be worth getting in contact with CAcert.org in order to try
> > and have them allow us to redistribute the root certs under conditions
> > which are acceptable to the Fedora Project?
>
> Probably, yes. :)

Just thought I'd chime in on this CACert issue. We at openSUSE have the same
problem with the CACert license and we are in contact with them about it. They
don't seem to be sure about what to do and are open for suggestions,
especially from distributors. They want to get their root certs into our
distributions, but worry about possible implications of their private key
being compromised.

I think it would make sense to coordinate our efforts here - openSUSE and
Fedora want to distribute the CaCert.org root certs and we are both unhappy
with the current terms of distribution.

@spot - if you like, I'll forward you our correspondence with the cacert
people thus far.

Ciaran