[Fedora-legal-list] clamav and unrar

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Jan 1 16:10:08 UTC 2008

Enrico,

The clamav code needs to be cleaned of the unrar sources. Normally, it
would be permissable to ship sources with a bad license (and just
disable that functionality), but the unrar license does not permit this.

It says:

   5. Installing and using the UnRAR utility signifies acceptance of
      these terms and conditions of the license.

   6. If you don't agree with terms of the license you must remove
      UnRAR files from your storage devices and cease to use the
      utility.

Since this license applies equally to the source as to the binary,
we have to interpret the installation of the source as an acceptance of
these terms. Fedora doesn't accept these terms (they're awful, and
poorly worded), so we need to hold to clause 6 and remove the files.

Please take care of this as soon as possible, and ensure that we're
using a clean tarball for all active Fedora branches.

Thanks,

~spot