[Fedora-legal-list] Is license of cleanfeed right?

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Jul 7 14:28:29 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 15:42 +0200, Roman Rakus wrote:
> LICENSE
>     This software may be distributed freely, provided it is intact
>     (including all the files from the original archive). You may
>     modify it, and you may distribute your modified version,
>     provided the original work is credited to the appropriate
>     authors, and your work is credited to you (don't make changes
>     and pass them off as my work), and that you aren't charging for
>     it.
>
> Is it ok?
> "That last sentence may or may not cause this to become non-free :("

Indeed, that last sentence makes the license non-free. Before we pull it
from Fedora, you should try to contact the upstream maintainer and see
if he'll drop that final clause.

Preventing someone from selling free software is rather pointless and
silly, because people will always be able to get it at no cost from
someone.

~spot